Thursday, May 29, 2008

The South Has Changed Me

After being here more than a month (I know - such a long time - psych) I am already beginning to notice changes in myself which I didn't think living in another area of the country would actually do to me.

This is going to be a short post because I don't really feel much like writing. I just kind of had a "moment" at Costco (of all places) when I realized the South was starting to morph me in to something the Seattle version of me wouldn't realize.

At Costco as we were shopping for our random items that we need a LOT of - namely paper towels and toilet paper - we passed the clothing area which they so perfectly place in the middle of everything. And the clothes are so damned cheap too. It's hard not to pick up a $20 polo or $15 pair of cargo shorts.

But what caught my eye this evening was...boat shoes. I know. Only people over 50 wear them. Like my dad. But, I was thinking to myself - it's hard to look somewhat dressy in shorts and a polo. I mean, I've got my rockports. But I have to wear socks with them. And just the image of shorts, black socks and my rockports makes me cringe. Then I've got my flip flops and my trainers. Too casual.

But boat shoes. They are perfect.

And if you're not sure what I'm referring to, here are the ones that I bought tonight.

They really hit the go between - not casual, but not dressy. Perfect for an evening out for dinner downtown in 90 degree temps.

And I don't mind if people laugh at me - they're just like my old people sunglasses. It's part of my "charm".

Another thing the South has changed about me is that I have now watched a full episode of "America's Most Wanted". Why? Because I have driven through the cities that these criminals might currently be in. I could be the lead eye witness to catching someone that has been running from the law since late 2007. You never know.

The food down here spoils so quickly. I think it is the heat. Or the humidity. In the Northwest you can keep your cereal, bread, bananas and all that good stuff out for almost 2 weeks. Here that 2 weeks is cut down to 4 days or less. You know how most bagel bags come with 4 to 6 bagels? I'm now opting for the 4 bagel bags because by the time I get to that 6th bagel it'll have mold on it. And instead of buying my bananas in a big bunch of 7 like I normally do, I now buy them in bunches of 4. I was surprised at how quickly things turned down here. I guess not everything is slower down South.

All I want to do is play golf. Take golf lessons. Go to the driving range. In fact, I was just looking at a set of clubs at the Nike store tonight. Expensive, but awesome. I've only played one round of golf so far, but after being out in that heat and playing my heart out (shot 40 over - ouch) I am excited about hitting the links again. In Charleston since they have so many courses out here the green fees are minimal. $12 will get you a round of 18. If you go during the heat of the day or late in the afternoon it can be cut down to $7 or less. Which is pretty ridiculous when you're spending about 3 hours out on the grass.

I've always liked golf. But right now it is my #1 sport. I'll have to convince the wife that I need a set of clubs over the next month...

No comments: