Monday, February 12, 2007

Running and Goals

Im not sure what happened to me.

Ive been a runner ever since cross country in high school, but ever since high school Ive been running sporadically. Maybe once a week during the summer, and not at all during the winter.

I figured I had enough running with the long hours I used to spend at the IMA playing basketball. And I was fit. So its not like I needed the extra workout. But then alcohol came along. And Dicks at 3 in the morning, or maybe A pizza mart. Extravagant (not really) trips to whistler that included eating out every 4 hours on top of a drink with every meal. Work. Work happened.

And somewhere along the line, I went from being askinny 190 lb kid to abeer bellied 205 lb guy. And I know. I know its not that big of a difference. I know that people would look at that and say,Well I know X guy whos gained 100 lbs since high school. But Im not that guy.

So I set a few goals for myself. By 2008 I will be dunking with at least 1 hand. Im working on my vertical leap (I only need to add about 3 inches sounds a lot easier than it actually is) and I want to run the Seattle Marathon. What the fuck, this will be myquarter life crisis since Ill be turning 25 in April anyway. Run 26 miles to bring on the 26th year in my life? Sure. Sounds like a good idea.

What started it all: Im back in the gym. Sports is the reason why I work out. Some people work out to look good. Others just do it just because itssomething to do. Some people set resolutions for themselves tolose weight this year but I wonder the percentage of people still sticking to their resolution by March 15th? This is partly the reason I stayed away from the gym for most of Januaryto avoid thenon-regulars theseasonals as I like to call them.

With Michelle introducing back in to organized basketball in the Boeing league, Ive got a reason to be in shape. I dont want to be the guy getting left when someone charges hard from 25 feet out to the key. I dont want to be the guy, during playoffs thats bent over on the bench, almost about to puke from running so hard. Ill admit, our team isnt in the top division, but even in the lower divisions over the past 2 seasons (past 2 quarters) weve barely been about .500. Ive wanted that to change. Ive wanted our team to run hard, play tough D and win. I dont claim to be the reason weve done so well this season, but Ive felt much better during our games and were off to our best start ever, 4-0.

Running is an interesting thing for me. Its likeoptional work. I dont know if anyone feels like I do almost every morning, but every morning I wake up, I say to myself,I dont really want to go to work, but I have to. So I do. With running, its completely my choice. Maybe I should say its more like a college class. I dont really have to go if I dont want to, but wouldnt I feel better about spending my time learning in the class room setting taking advantage of the money that was spent to pay for that tuition?

Just getting started is the hardest part. Gathering up my running clothes, getting changed, setting up my nike+ (my new favorite toy!)and mainly just having so many different excuses to not go running is the hardest part about running. Getting out and going there. And when my schedule isnt the same every week, that makes it tough too. The schedule is this: Lift at least twice a week. Run at least twice a week. Basketball once a week.

The problem with the schedule? Theres no set time or dates for any of it. Its all veryfree form because it is myfree time. I just wish I could have that feeling every time I finished. I wished I could know that feeling immediately as I began running. That feeling of accomplishment. The feeling that I pushed myself.

And its weird, because I know that feeling. Ive felt it many times. Its just having that desire to get to that point that holds me up.

But once I get started (when I do get started) that 30 minutes of running that I do is great. The first 10 minutes I usually spend clearing my head. Ive constantly got about 3-4 things on my mind. Bills Ive got to pay. Jobs Ive got to apply for. Something mean that someone emailed to me and why it affected me emotionallyBut once I hit that 5-10 minute mark, its clear. My mind isclean for lack of a better way to describe it. My focus suddenly shifts.

It shifts to my breathing. The rhythmic in and out of my breath. My foot strikes. Am I using too much toe? Am I rolling my left foot from in to out too much? Whats my speed like right now?

By the end of my run, my focus turns to muscles burning. Which muscles are hurting me right now? My calves, my thighscant stop nowmore than halfway finishedhere comes the hill, push hard until the top and then you can coast down the back end. This is me hustling to the ball faster than them. This is me out lasting them. What was that sound? Imagine that dog barking is chasing yourun faster

Its all very weird self-talk shit that I put myself through. You get a lot of silence (I dont listen to music when running) when youre out there on the road in 30 degree weather by yourself for 30 minutes. My neighbors probably think Im crazy because I typically end my runs with a half-sprint where I come in to our cul-de-sac looking half dead and stripping off my clothes while stretching out.

But I love it. And the fact that its good for my body makes it all the better. If I could just help other people with my running, people in need, it would be the perfect act. Wait, I can run marathons and have people sponsor me per mile to donate to good causes right? My life is over

The idea of running a marathon and doing well, not having the ambulance drive me across the line as many have proposed seems like a very daunting task. I was reading up about training for it and some of the web sites suggested running 10 miles in the morning, 10 miles at night. TEN MILES. My normal run right now is 3.2 miles, and thats still a bit tough for me. My hope was to build up to 10 miles by this summer, have the ability to run 10 miles and just GO, and then do that every other day during the week. After running those every other day, I want to run the full marathon amount (~27 miles) over the weekend.

But just thinking about that makes me kind of freak out. 27 miles? Seriously? I don't think I've ever run that far over 10 miles...and that was in High School...

And I was thinking today about caloric intake. 27 miles would be more than 4 hours straight of running. Right now I run 3.2 miles in 30 minutes and burn 500 calories. Multiply that by 8 and you've got a burn of 4000 calories. A dieter's dream...so I was asking my doctor today (I got a physical) and she said that my "body would adjust" and would try to balance out everything I was burning.

Just for that fact alone, I am interested to see how I do at running 27 miles. And I've got 9 months and counting to properly train. Everyone's been telling me that I need at least a year to train properly. I think that I can usually accomplish tasks (when I dedicate myself to them) at a much faster rate than the average person...

I hope I don't get hurt/injured...

No comments: