Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dear My Single Guy Friends,

Quit it.

Stop it.

Stop being single and acting like you don't care. That being single is the best thing in the world because you can do whatever you want to whenever you want to and have no one to answer to about what and when and how you do it.

I've lived alone before for a few months and it was one of the most disheartening experiences in my entire life. I don't know how many of you continue to live your lives like that. Filling it with TV, internet and alcohol.

Here's the thing: There are people out there for you. Who are more than willing to take you on a test drive. A first date. And yet you sit there and wuss out. Going home that night wondering "what could have been?". Thinking to yourself how you saw an opportunity and did completely nothing about it. Chalk it up as another failure.

I am writing this post because last night I got to a point where I was so fed up with it, that I took over. I was the guts. And I got the glory (for someone else of course).

Scenario: Softball team celebrating a win together at a bar. Majority of males at our table, half of whom are single.

A cute brunette woman (slim, long brown hair, good teeth) walks up and sits down next to us. She is suddenly the attention of everyone at the table but focuses in on single guy (SG) who will remain nameless.

SG and her are chatting it up. Smiling. Focused on each other. Everyone else realizes to lay off of her so we can give SG a chance. At love.

After what seems like 30 minutes of conversation she gets up and leaves - still seemingly happy.

So we ask SG: "What's her story?"

We get the info on her. And lead in to the question that everyone asks after a random meeting like this: "Did you get her number?"

"No."

*shocked*

"What? Why not?"

"Just...cause."

"Pffttt"

I could not believe SG is letting this girl slip away. I get up from the table and head to the bathroom and see that she is already on to her next single guy (who is much less attractive and more than likely doesn't have as good a personality/job as her first SG).

So I decide right there that I'll finish the job. I'll get the number. I've got liquid courage. The wife is there and I've already gotten clearance from her too.

So while SG is heading to the bathroom I make my move. I go over, tell her that SG thinks she's cute. She asks me if this is junior high all over again. We laugh.

Because for some of you guys, it freaking is junior high all over again. You SGs out there have so little guts you remind me of myself in 7th grade calling girls I had crushes on and hanging up as soon as I heard "hello".

I tell her about how my SG is just really nervous around girls, how he hasn't had a gf since college (which is getting pretty far away for some of us now - sad) and that if she would give him a chance I think she might like him. So who gets the number for SG? This guy.

Proud of myself I hop in the car to share the good news with SG. Only to hear complaints from him about it. Complaints? When I asked him how he was going to run in to her again he said he would stalk her at work (she works at a restaurant across the city). And that would be better than calling her? Stalking her at work? No.

Complaints invalid.

So to all you older SGs out there (you're almost 30 now): C'mon already. Grow a pair. Lonely people (hate to say just women - don't want to discriminate) out there rely on you to step it up.

No comments: