Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Happiness Defined

Reading over my past few posts – I’ve noticed I’ve been in a bit of a rut, they’ve been pretty boring, and depressing at times.

I wanted to write this earlier, but I was on vacation. A much needed vacation. I hadn’t taken one day off (other than normal company holidays) since the honeymoon.

The trip was to DC and NYC. Leaving on a midnight flight from Seatac to JFK, and then connecting.

I was going to see my best friends. My family. My home. Home is where we are, and when we are together everything is the way it should be.

After spending a few amazing days seeing the sights and partying in DC, we left on the 5 hour bus ride for NYC.

The bus ride was great. Most comfortable I felt traveling anywhere in a long time. The bus wasn’t sold out which gave me the ability to place my luggage on the seat next to me. Had my head phones on, Cramer’s “Real Money” book, and was falling in and out of consciousness while I caught up on some much needed rest. The 5 hours flew by. Brand new green leaves were flying by too. Traffic was nonexistent. The curves were gentle. The sun was out, but not shining in my eyes at all.

Coming out of sleep, I realized how close we were to the city. Suddenly I could see the Statue of Liberty. And then it hit.

Jamie Cullum. Song after song. “All at sea”, “High and Dry” and “Frontin’”. You know those points where the perfect song comes on and just fits your mood? I don’t really care if the lyrics fit much – but the feeling was there. We drove by and in to the city.

“All at Sea” fits perfectly because of all the water I could see surrounding the Statue of liberty. All the water that we drove by when getting to the port authority. Everyone rollerblading, biking and running, the sun shimmering off their skin like it did off the surface of the water.

“High and Dry” fits so well because of one line: “It’s the best day you have - ever had”. And if you’ve never heard this song, please get it as soon as possible. It’s almost as if nothing can go wrong in life when you’re listening to this song. We passed a dog park and a soccer game out of nowhere. More people enjoying life and enjoying the sun.

“Frontin’” sounds like the city to me. So busy. So much life. Energy. That was what you feel when you visit NYC. Is this abundance of energy everywhere you went. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe it was because I was surrounded by people. Maybe it was because I was among my best friends.

Maybe it was because for a moment in time, I was able to let this feeling wash over me – just let go of anything that was weighing me down – and define it as “happiness”.

That was one hell of a vacation.

No comments: