Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fun, Free and Lighthearted

Ugh. I’ve had a rough day. Long week.

My call on Goldman Sachs was terrible. Sure, I made 5% until they announced earnings yesterday afternoon. All that build up for bust. The investment blog post will come later.

We lost our softball game 9-8. This could’ve clinched the playoffs for us. I put some of the onus on myself. I threw a pitch that shouldn’t have been thrown. Should’ve just walked the guy. I went 1 for 3. It was a terrible hitting night for me. I didn’t help my cause at all. My attitude was terrible all game. Much too serious, and not enough funny. We could’ve been easy sailing in to the playoffs. And now I’ve got to worry with one regular season game left.

Then, I get home only to watch the end of the finals where some jackass throws up a 3 pointer at the buzzer and hits it to destroy my two team parlay that would’ve paid me 2.5 to 1 odds with the Spurs winning by 3 (which they only won by 1) and the score being under 176.5 combined (it ended up being 165: Spurs 83, Cavs 82). What a boring series. The NBA is in crisis. Tony Parker MVP? Frenchie? Don’t you idiots know? This is the United States of AMERICA. *steams*

So that’s 3 somewhat bad things. So that’s it. I don’t have to go through anymore crap for awhile. Knowing that, I can write about something I’ve been thinking about. And that is, having a house party here.

I’ve got a few friends, a few coworkers and other acquaintances that like to drink. In fact, I know a lot of people that like to drink. The last house party I was at I believe was probably 2 years ago. And yes, I have been to parties in houses over the past 2 years. In fact, I’ve hosted a few myself. However, those are not my definition of a house party. A house party is a packed house. A place that you can’t sit because there are all these groups of people standing and chatting. The drinks are flowing, the music is loud and a few people are way too drunk to even be awake. Maybe the cops come knock on the door? Maybe.

You don’t want to stay at the house because the couch looks dirty. So you pile in to the car with 8 other people, only 2 of which you showed up with, and somehow you all get home. Don’t judge me. I’m still alive, I don’t have a DUI or a MIP. And if I did, who are you to judge? Hah – c’mon let’s keep it fun.

You might think I’m crazy to miss these parties. Maybe I am. Maybe my house might get trashed. But for this post, let me be “fun, free and lighthearted”. Because I’ve had a rough day. Ok? Thanks.

I want to have a kegger at my house. I want to have a spodie. Is that how you spell it? I want a garbage can full of liquor and fruit and I want a keg of Mac and Jack’s getting pumped on the other corner of my patio. I want hot dogs and hamburgers. I want loud music. I want shoulder to shoulder people, everyone standing around chatting and laughing. I want drinking contests.

And that’s why I’m writing. If you’re reading this, don’t worry about it. You’re invited. I’m planning it. I don’t know if e-vites are still what the deal is? I’m not sure. They seem like they’ve peaked and now suck. I want to lay some plastic down on the hard woods, set up 12 shot glasses and challenge 11 other people to the century run. I want us all standing around that island. I want designated pourers. I want it to be competitive. I want screaming.

It’s been a good 3 years since I’ve done it. And man did I do it good. Most were not able to follow in my greatness. None in fact. Some ran outside to barf. While I continued. Shot after shot after shot. And if you’re not aware of what the century run is, it is 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes. I know. It doesn’t sound like much. But it gets to you. At 54 you start to buzz. Right about when you hit 72 is when you can’t pour anymore. And at 84 your vision starts to go. At 93 you have no idea what you’re saying and you don’t even remember any of the shots past that point. Maybe you drink two more beers on top of all the shots you did? Maybe you randomly make a fool of yourself in front of a circle of people. Yeah, you probably did.

People will be surrounding me laughing. Drinking their wine. Drinking their mixed drink. Maybe we should use the blender and make Seth’s old special margaritas? It might be that kind of night. I want a night in late July or sometime in August when everyone can make it. It’ll be a no holds barred drink-a-thon. And if you’re not sure where “no holds barred” comes from or had possibly forgotten:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Holds_Barred

Maybe I’ll rent that movie and play it while we’re drinking. But play it on silent so I can rock out with my awesome music (I bet you thought I was going to say “cock out”? C’mon – not in front of all those people) that I don’t really care if everyone likes. Because who did the century run? That’s what I thought. I just want to be going for a repeat of my greatness. Sadly as it is, I am half serious. So don’t think of me as an arrogant bastard. I’m just trying to be light hearted.

I know lots of guys. We need more girls than guys though. Even though I’m married, the mix must require at least a 7:10 ratio of women to men for me to feel comfortable. And please, at least one female make the attempt at the run? Even if you make it to 32 you’ve got our respect. Otherwise we might all end up crying together in a huge sausage fest if no women make it out. And that’s why I’m cooking hot dogs and not sausage.

Thinking about planning this event is the only thing that has made my night better. That’s why I’m writing about it. Sure, I have other ideas about blog posts, and yes, I haven’t done a “rando” post in awhile, but I figured this “spur of the moment” writing might create something I might enjoy reading.

I just realized I have no idea what kind of beer I’ll buy for this. I should research. I’m currently going to google and typing in the search of “What is the best beer to use for the century run”. And for you lazy folk, I’ll just paste the first link that pops up here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0516_050516_ancientbeer.html

Wow. A national geographic link about antibiotics. That sucks.

I guess I must have used too many words in my search.

I promise I’ll make up for only having 3 posts last month. I apologize, I was on vacation. I also promise that I’ll have a rando thoughts post up this month. My head is all sorts of jumbled right now, which will make for an excellent one of those. I don’t see it un-jumbling until February 2008. Weird that I can just say that.

For now, I feel marginally better by imagining my ridiculous party where NO ONE drives home for hours while they sober up and feel terrible. Eyes dropping, backs leaned up against the wall. Let’s all be college kids again. We deserve it. We’ve been out for too long. Don’t drink responsibly. Get shit faced.

Maybe there’s people making out in the living room? Maybe. Lucky kids. I hope I’ve got my camera on me.

No comments: