Sunday, October 07, 2007

For the Employed

Happy 100th post to me!

Really short post tonight.

Meh, most of my posts are tl;dr anyway.

So for those of you who don’t like to read that much, here’s one for you (I’ll try to keep it under one page or less).

What would you do if tomorrow you didn’t have to work? Or the day after that? Or for the rest of your life? What if you had no schedule to adhere to? No commute? How would that change your life?

Recently I’ve found myself disliking my job more and more. A year ago it was the perfect job. Now it’s about 70% as perfect as it once was. And it’s mainly because we have less people to do the same amount of work as even 3 months ago – and along with that my pay hasn’t increased. Go figure.

But even if I did get a pay raise, what would be enough for me? Obviously I have a number I would be very happy with – but it’s unrealistic.

But the thing I’ve had trouble with recently is how I would be if I was at home every day with the dog. I mean, I’ve been at home sick on my own for a few days and while everyone was away at work I was just trying my best to fill time…

I always said that there were so many things that I could do on my leisure time if I wasn’t working. Go to the gym, take up new hobbies (finally get that piano tuned and finally learn something by Chopin), read all the books I want to, run errands, volunteer – sleep in and nap. But really I’m starting to notice that maybe that isn’t the ideal life. Maybe I actually need work to fill my time? Did I forget how to be a kid during summer/winter breaks? How did those months of time off fly by so quickly?

What if working hard and saving towards an early retirement isn’t what I really want?

Scary thoughts. Think about how life would be if you didn’t work – assuming you didn’t need to in order to pay for life. I wonder if a lot of people nearing retirement feel this way too? As in, “What in the world am I going to do with all my free time?”

Could you think of things to do to even fill three months let alone three weeks of free time (assuming world travel would be too expensive)? Too tough a question to ask me on a Sunday night. Back to work tomorrow…

No comments: