Thursday, November 29, 2007

Random Notes November 2007

Man I love these posts. Probably because I’m semi-ADD. Even though I’m not, I just like to say that I am as a partial excuse for wanting to move on to a completely separate topic out of nowhere.

I love online bill pay. I’ve been doing online bill payment ever since I worked for the bank(s). It was new 8 or so years ago. If you’re not using it now get with the new millennium. People don’t write checks to business anymore. I have nice little reminders I can even set for myself for transfers I want to make to and from bank accounts. It’s saved me the hassle of having another thing to remember – or *gasp* being late or completely missing a payment!

And on the topic of banking, have you noticed how on everyone’s (as in the bank’s) website they’re smiling? What’s the deal with that? All the financial institutions, banking, insurance, lenders, they have people smiling. Are they trying to tell us something? Maybe that having money makes you happy? Or maybe that being with that bank suddenly makes you burst in to a giant smile too large for a 1024 X 768 resolution? What are you guys so happy about? I hate when it seems like people are let in to some secret that I don’t know about. And maybe some sort of happiness secret since they’re face is glued to my screen…shining bright white teeth in all their glory.

It’s funny how that works. I can go up to someone who might be in too good of a mood. And it completely pisses me off (but I don’t let it show). Either I think they’re faking it, or I’m just hating on them because I’m not as chipper as they. But even in the opposite sense, if I go up to someone who’s pissed off, it makes me pissed off too. I guess I can’t win them all. Or win at all.

I hate stretch marks. They just feel weird. I have more than I think I should have. They’re right behind my armpit too. Some on my hip and inner thigh. Some in the fold of my arm. Weird crevices of skin that get itchy sometimes. I like to think that my body just grew too fast for itself. But it’s probably from lifting without stretching properly. Or maybe just stretching improperly. Either way, way to go me.

I’m currently reading a book called The Black Swan by Nicholas Taleb. It’s totally a nerd book. Half philosophy half finance. If you’re a total nerd like I am and get geeked out about things like the collapse of hedge funds then you might want to check it out. “It’s a total mind fuck!” raves me. Reading it makes me think differently about catastrophic events that have happened in my lifetime. Actually it puts a spin on a lot of things in my life that I never would have even thought of. So yeah. Mind fuck.

Songs are constantly getting stuck in my head. And the problem is, I don’t listen to music while at work. As in, if a song is stuck in my head at 7 am, it’ll probably be there when I leave at 3 pm. Once a coworker brought his i-pod in for a week, and I think suddenly realized how anti-social he was being. Maybe that’s why he didn’t bring it again? Maybe it broke? Anyway, the worst is when you’re listening to new music and a song gets stuck in your head and you don’t even know the whole chorus yet. Just one line from the chorus. And then you’re stuck singing the guitar part and maybe drumming on your desk. Or maybe when there’s that song that’s way overplayed now, like “Big Girls Don’t Cry” by Fergie that gets stuck and won’t get unstuck. I feel like this happens so often to me…why me?

While shopping for new cars online, I was watching a show I DVR – Top Gear. Hilarious show, awesome cars. And it’s on the BBC too so maybe you get a little culture to go with it? Maybe. Anyway, they were driving around the Porsche 911 Turbo and praising it like mad. What I loved to hear though was how comfortable it was driving in the city – stop and go traffic, or possibly getting the groceries. Also, what blew me away (and don’t quote me on this) is that the new 911 was almost considered one of the LEV – or Low Emission Vehicles. Yup, as good as your average Honda Civic when it came to polluting the air. When I heard that (other than the fact that it’s on the bottom rung of what I would consider a “supercar”) I was sold. And the sick thing was that I could buy it! If I put $40K down and financed over 5 years my car payment (not including insurance mind you) would be $600. Leasing it and putting a lot less down - $10K – came out to about $900 a month which was a little less affordable but doable. Hey, if Michelle got a brand new car, shouldn’t I get my Porsche? He laughs. Anyway, it’s always fun to dream – but sometimes when you do the numbers and you realize you can make your dreams a reality you get a little bit sick.

I wanted to write up my Christmas list within this random notes post, however I think I might just make that it’s own post. I’m sure I could put up at least a page as to why I want the things I do for Christmas.

I didn’t write a post about Thanksgiving. I felt obligated to (it feels odd to admit that) so I decided against it. It’s something that a lot of people go through, and I’m sure a lot of us share the same experiences every year. Maybe one year if deep frying the turkey catches the lawn on fire I’ll blog about it, but just know I had a good time, we had it at our house, and both of our families helped out with the food. And what would thanksgiving be without football? The Turkey bowl hurt my neck. A week later I still do not feel that I have full range of motion turning my head from side to side. Well done tackle football on the frozen ground.

You know how you sign up for those newsletters or those daily emails? Like the thought of the day, or dictionary.com’s word of the day? I’m signed up on way too many of those lists. And it almost becomes a chore to read through them every single day. Oh great! 24 new emails in my inbox! *click* Hmmm, let’s see. Not one personal email or one that I could really care about. Darn! I missed the 30% off at Eastbay again! *sign out* Why do I continue to stay on those mailing lists when I could easily unsubscribe? I guess signing in to an empty inbox is never a good feeling (that is unless you’ve checked it in the past 24 hours) and you never know when you’ll come upon something you’re actually interested in.

This evening, after being persuaded by Peter Griffin of Family Guy fame standing in front of a sandwich from Subway, I had to go and pick up “The Feast” sandwich. It was after our first playoff basketball game (which we barely won – I’m worried about next week when we play the first seed) and typically I like to eat “healthy” after I run around. Subway I figure is healthy enough. “The Feast” for those who haven’t seen the commercial yet is 5 types of meat and of course all the veggies you want. I get all of the veggies except for jalapenos. I don’t understand people who go to subway (like my wife) and only get lettuce and pickles. Seriously? The rest of the veggies are free. Why not get more for your – no money? It doesn’t make sense to not load up on the veggies. And I’m thinking that right now my readers are getting hungry for subway – if that’s possible. I’ve never in my life craved Subway. That’s a bad thing Subway. You guys should work on that. Anyway, “The Feast” ended up beating me. I was only able to finish a little more than half of it (foot long). I blame the free bag of baked lays that came with it because of the points we had earned. Go Subway cards. I miss the stickers we used to get for buying sandwiches. 1 sticker for a 6” and 2 for a foot long. I couldn’t wait to get my sticker page all filled up and get my free sandwich. Those were such simpler times.

Today I was one of the guys I used to hate as a customer service representative. I called Comcast to complain about my recent rate change for DVR service. The rate for DVR went from $13.95 a month for $15.95. Therefore increasing my bill every month for cable and internet to $93.45. And if you are paying more than that for Comcast or whoever you are going through, you shouldn’t. There are probably people out there who are paying even less than I am for the same service, but that’s as much discount as I could finagle out of them. 6 months ago I was paying $133 a month for the services (if you can call them that) so I’m pretty happy about my savings. Either way, I had to call and let them know they had raised my bill. But of course! They’ve included a mailer with their last 2 month’s bills informing us idiots (Chris the rep didn’t use this word, that’s just how I felt after he told me that – because I knew he was probably thinking that) that the rate would be rising. That’s the stuff I automatically chuck in the “this needs to go out to the recycling bin” bin. Anyway, nothing has changed Comcast. Why are you charging me $2 more per month? Is it because you need to squeeze every last penny out of every client you have? That’s probably true. I mean, shoot, how many customers do you have? Let’s just take a shot in the dark and say 700,000 loyal (pfftt) customers. 700,000 X $2/month X 12 months = Damn that adds up quickly. You guys suck and I can’t wait till Google takes over everything and I can watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and the only thing I’ll have to do to “pay” for it is to ignore a little text ad on the side bar of what I’m watching. Shake in your boots. Shake. They already dominate the internet, they’re moving to the wireless business and next they’re coming after you guys.

It’s a sad day when I’m calling the cable company complaining about a $2 rate increase.

Luckily in an hour and a half it’ll be Friday and that means the weekend which means naps. That’s probably why people like me like to stay up later on Thursday nights – because we know we can try and get that sleep back throughout the weekend.

I wish I could blog in the shower. I think a lot in there. About good blog ideas too. There was something I wanted to mention in this random notes post that I was thinking about in the shower, but now that I’m out of the shower I completely forgot.

Ah well.

What is the past tense of spasm? Totally random I know.

(It feels weird to end it like that, but here I am ending it within a parentheses – even more ironic that I wrote the actual word “parentheses” in here)

No comments: