Saturday, July 12, 2008

Can't Sleep

I can't ever sleep.

I don't remember the last time I slept for more than 8 hours.

Even this morning, hung over after 6 hours of drinking last night, I woke up, wide awake, still drunk at 6:40 AM. Came downstairs, tried to nurse a headache and a stomach that wanted to rid itself of sickness...

Only to try and go back to sleep 2 hours later, with no luck.

Luckily the hangover wore off around 11 and I've been fine for the rest of the day. And I got an hour long nap around 1 pm and here I sit now. Almost 1 am and I can't sleep. Because of the nap. Or maybe because I didn't work out today? My body should be tired. I've been laughing since about 8:30 tonight.

I've read 3 different blogs before writing in mine. Nick, you seriously need to update yours. Your life is interesting enough to write about right? I think in our own little ways all of our lives are...maybe not bestsellers...but a handful of people would gladly read them. I read Pol's blog through once after our vacation last summer. I went through the whole thing again and about died from laughter from a few things I haven't thought about recently. Especially the whole apple incident at the CVS.

Stat: The top 40 US Taxpayers for 2007 made an average of $214 million.

Sick.

You know what the worst part about not being able to sleep is? Well, scratch that. When I go to sleep I sleep just fine. Only sometimes do I wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake at 3 am. Anyway here are some bad things about going to sleep later than you want to:

-You get less sleep for the next day, which will probably require a nap again thus continuing the terrible sleep pattern...ever spiraling downward and never making a new deposit to the sleep bank...only withdrawals.

-I don't know about everyone else, but I get hungry. Every 3 and a half hours or so. Even today for example. Today's been a pretty long day for me. So far I've been up 19 hours and counting. So divide that up by 4 and you get...yup...4 meals. I have eaten 4 meals today. And I'm starting to crave my 5th. It is hard for me to sleep on an empty stomach. And there's nothing good to eat here or at least nothing that I want to cook because...

-I want to keep quiet because everyone else is sleeping. Sure having your "quiet time" is great and everything, but I get plenty of quiet time going to sleep later than most people and waking up earlier than them too.

-They say get your "beauty rest". I am one ugly mofo. Last summer when I scrunched my eyes together at a bar and asked a couple (who looked like they were about 18) how old they thought I was she said, "34?". We were all shocked because she hit it right on the head. Maybe that's why I don't hang out so much in the party scene anymore? Maybe because people think I'm about 5 or 6 years too old to be out in it?

-Getting comfortable. When you get in bed with someone who is sleeping, it's hard to get comfortable because you're worried about waking them up. So, you toss and turn and try to relax...try to shut off your mind and you try to do so without making too much noise. Rarely does it ever work though.

Really I wrote this post hoping that writing about sleep would make me tired. I read somewhere that reading words related to "sleep" will actually make a person yawn. I've yawned about 4...nope 5 times while writing this. Maybe I am getting tired. But I could definitely go for some waffles and an omelet right now. And here's what I've always wondered...

Why do breakfast places never give you those options? It's either the waffles or the pancakes. Why not both? Or give me the biscuit AND the toast. Or maybe - and this might blow your mind - maybe instead of giving me 2 eggs with my breakfast, how about giving me an omelet? Oh yeah, with all the fixings. And how about a sausage patty and sausage links! All in the same meal? Someone call the crazy house...we've got a new applicant.

Hah! I have to stop writing about food. It is making me energetic and making me fantasize about a 1 AM run to Denny's or IHOP. Damn you power of suggestion.

No comments: