Sunday, July 06, 2008

Firsts

I was sitting here on the couch this evening, after a perfectly timed 4th of July weekend thinking to myself about how many "firsts" I've experienced in only just these past 3 days.

-I celebrated the 4th of July outside of the state of Washington. Thinking back I don't think I've ever done that before. And I walked down to our pier a few blocks down the road and watched 4 different fireworks shows light up the sky over the river. It was amazing.

-I've cooked a lot of steaks in my life and for the first time I felt like the steak that I cooked was perfect. Sometimes it's too bloody, sometimes I burn it too much. But for dinner on the night of the 4th? Just right. Throw in a couple beers, corn on the cob, salad, baked beans and rice and you've got one hell of a meal.

-For the first time I drank beer from Brazil. I believe it was called "Xungi". It was excellent.

-I met a guy named "Rhett" for the first time. Perfectly Southern.

-I had shrimp and grits. For breakfast. It was spicy. I had tried grits down here previously, but I felt that with the spicy gravy on the shrimp it was a perfect complement for them. I now understand what the big draw behind the shrimp and grits is.

-I played golf in an area that is famous for it's golf. I didn't play on any special course, but for the first time I feel like I'm in control (as much as I can control) on the course. I used to just try to hit the crap out of the ball and not know where it was going. I am confident now that I can solidly hit the ball 280 yards and hit it somewhat straight. Now finding the ball after hitting it? That's another thing. And don't even talk to me about putting. *sigh* For the first time I've wanted to purchase my own clubs. Craigslist and ebay here I come. Also, in the past I have been against drinking and playing sports. I had 3 beers while I was on the course. I felt that I was able to play better after drinking. Go figure.

For the wife's birthday I went through a few firsts for her:

-I got my first ever pedicure. I've always thought that pedicures were for the feminine...male. It wasn't as great as I had hoped, but my feet do look good. For the money I'd rather poney up some extra bucks and get a sports massage. I can cut my own nails, scrub my own feet and lotion the whole bit for free. Unless I'm getting a pedicure for free I don't think I'll be going back.

-I went shopping for a good amount of time without complaining. Yes. That was actually one of the gifts I provided to my wife. She drags me along to shopping all the time. And I absolutely hate it. This time I shut my mouth, smiled and gave my opinions on what she was trying on.

No comments: