Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Mediocre Life

...Is not one that I want to live.

And yet I can't help but feel that I've fell in to that comfortable - somewhat mediocre life.

Yes, I suppose I could make the argument that I've got a very good life. I'm healthy, I have a lot of fun and I don't have any other major issues in my life.

But what's been bothering me the past week are a few things.

I recently read a questionnaire given to hundreds of elderly people in retirement homes.

And they continued to see the same recurring theme in each of the answers. It wasn't that people regretted anything in their lives...but that they regretted not doing more. Not doing what they always wanted to with their lives. Not following their dreams.

So I've been questioning myself over the past week (like I've been known to do). Am I pursuing my dreams? Am I doing everything possible in my life to make it my best life possible?

I am uneasy about the response. But that stems from the fact that I'm not sure what my dreams are.

I have the early retirement goal. Which is definitely an ambitious goal and I feel that I am doing my best to complete it.

But other than that? What do I see as my "dream life"? Anything that I would want to do for the rest of my life, even given the assumption that I could anything I wanted to - somehow ends up down the road of mediocrity. I am definitely a creature of routine. Routine is my comfort though. I seek it out. And really the day in, day out is something that actually is part of my dream life - I just haven't realized it yet.

I think about the people I know and love. I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 people who are "living their dream". But it's not even really that. It's more that they had a career goal growing up or going through college, and they've seen the career through to fruition. Are they really enjoying their life that much more than me? That's arguable.

So that's where I sit right now. The question might be too large for me right now. But it might be a question for everyone reading this right now. What are your dreams? If you could have any life right now what would it look like? I am unsure about mine - and I am not sure if I will ever be sure.

No comments: