Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Obligatory New Years Post

This time, before New Years!

Go figure.

I had time to write, so I wanted to put up something. Those that write blogs - ever notice that reading other people's blogs makes you want to write in yours?

It does for me. Sometimes.

And the fact that I have tomorrow off (hah in your face Monday!) I don't feel it's right to let Sunday night go so easily. Sunday nights are such a good time to write - or read. Good time to sit and reflect back on the week, or the month, or anything at all, before the cycle starts again.

And actually reading through my last new year's post gave me the impetus to write this years. I wanted to do it early for some reason. I wanted to get in in there before too much changed next year. Because of all the talk of change for 2009, I think my life will change. Not that it hasn't every year that I've been on this Earth.

So, like my January post from this year, let's recap what's been 2008, and see the things I was able to accomplish and not accomplish from what I resolved to do this year.

First off, 2008 in a nutshell:

-Made it past 25. I still exist. I am alive. I am healthy. As long as I have my health, everything is just fine.

-Made my motorcycle lesson appointment for this summer. Those never came to fruition. But I could taste it. The charge for the lessons even hit my credit card, cleared, and I paid for them. Only for them to be refunded. Yes, doing this was that big of a deal for me that it deserved a "dash".

-I've seen so many things this year. In my last new year's post I wrote that 2008 would be the "Year of Seth". It has been. I have never in my life experienced so many new things, seen so many sights, traveled the world. I drove from Seattle to Charleston and back. Here are the states I either saw, or actually stayed in: Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina. On the way back we drove through the South and I saw Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon and finally back home to Washington. And that was just on the drive down to Charleston and back.

We also took a vacation and drove up the East Coast to New York. I can now say I've seen a good majority of the lower 48. And this country is amazing. And beautiful. I love road trips. A day of driving 10 hours doesn't seem bad to me any longer.

-I saw the sights in Europe over 2 ridiculous weeks. England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France, Austria, Switzerland. I'm probably forgetting something, but I stopped looking at a map after listing off all the states.

-Charleston. Beautiful, gorgeous, laid back Charleston. I loved it there. I miss it every day and lived almost the perfect life there. What an opportunity. I don't think I've written enough about it...so maybe I'll put up at least one more post dedicated solely to South Carolina.

Unfortunately I failed at a few things I resolved to do in 2008 because of our short term relocation. Those include: Not getting more defined abs. Sorry, people drink down there, and I had to try everything. Not just the booze, but the food too. Starting my MBA. Just wasn't going to happen while I was out of state. Unfortunately I'm not one of those online degree types.

-Run a marathon: Nope
-Earn 35% returns in the market: Hah, more like 3% (but still not losing!)
-Make more to-do lists: Na-uh
-Don't whine/complain as much: Yes! Completed!
-More driven at work/Search for other opportunities: It will be hard to top 2008 for me. I've also been involved in a few interviews this year. Add another point for me.
-Don't go to Vegas: Only 2 weeks left in the year and no plane ticket! Winner winner chicken dinner.
-Don't drink so much that I vomit: Still happening.
-Go get a pedicure: Yes, we did that for a July 4th celebration...to celebrate our independence from bad feet? I guess.

And that, in so many words, was my 2008. What a great year. If I wasn't coming out of such a gloom over the pats few weeks for coming home and then promptly getting sick, then it would look much better than it does right now.

So what's on the table for 2009. Lots. Every day is filled with plans (albeit not big) but still I will be doing at least something every day of 2009 just like I have every day of my life.

Things from 2008 I didn't accomplish that I want to in 2009:

-Start my MBA. I am planning on taking the GMAT this spring and planning to apply (and hopefully be accepted somewhere respectable - most likely Seattle University) in the fall. This is of course assuming I don't somehow get relocated again.

-After watching "The Dark Knight" this weekend, one of my resolutions for 2009 will be to be more like Batman. This entails a lot: Getting rich(er). Signing up for some form of martial arts training (I'm thinking Judo would be fun?). Signing up for those motorcycle lessons again.

-I give myself 2 nights of vomiting due to drunkenness. Why? Because 3 is too many, and 2 gives me just enough leeway to screw up at least once. This is a goal I failed miserably in 2008.

-Sports related goals: I always put up the dunk one, but I think that's out of reach now. I'll work on something more manageable. 1) Working on my short range jumpers for bball. I can shoot from the outside, I can post up and I can drive. Only one thing is missing. 2) Golf. I've got the power but I lack control. It's tough to hit a ball 250 yards if you can't find it. 3) Play raquetball for the first time ever. 4) Go to a Silvertips and Storm game. Neither of which I have been to. Possibly go down to Portland and catch a Blazers game?

-Be less cheap. I'm constantly calculating the cost of things. And what I could save if I just removed "X" out of my life. I'm doing a good job saving. I should worry less because all that saving won't do me any good if I can't enjoy it because I live a shortened life due to stress.

-Pray more. I thought I wrote this in my last new year's resolution but I didn't see it there. I think I might have written it in another post this year. That is something that I have accomplished in 2008, but I've noticed I only pray when I really want something. I'd like to expand my praying and definitely make it less selfish. I have always felt that living a balanced life was the key and the spiritual side of things has definitely been lacking recently.

-Experience more outside of my comfort zone. I am attracted to things that I've done before, because I know what to expect, and I go back to things that I like. I'm an alright fan of country, but I've never been to a concert before. I've never been to a metal or punk show before. What about the ballet? There are so many fantastic things to see and do near where I live. In Charleston I did everything in my power to go out and try new things because I knew I probably would never be able to live there again. And being given that ability to try something new every weekend if not every day was amazing. One of the many reasons that South Carolina was unforgettable for me.

-Go to Vegas. It's been 3 years. My hiatus is over.

That's good enough for now.

2008 has been such a great year for me. Sadly, I can't see how 2009 can be better but I'm going to try.

Hopefully around this time next year I can put check marks next to the entire list I've made for myself instead of just some of them. Until then, it'll be one day at a time.

No comments: