Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Always come in 3s

Is what I've been told about "bad things".

And since I'm a gambling man, I believe in these types of things.

I am superstitious. Because even the scientific haters can't hate on hot streaks. Sure, they can try their best to explain away, and yes there may even be scientific reasons as to why at certain times we perform the way we do - but this isn't a superstitious post...

It's about the bad news I received tonight in regards to our rental property.

We thought everything was going great.

Hardly a peep almost 9 months through a year long lease.

We were excited, thinking we finally had a set of renters that would renew their lease past a full year. They were taking great care of the place, they weren't complaining about anything, they liked us, and most importantly they paid on time.

And then we got the email, informing us in no short order that they weren't sure they could continue making the payments throughout the rest of the lease.

But they also were requesting that they not be evicted. So I'm not sure how this is going to work out. Already we are going to be scrambling again for new renters for the condo. And we always prefer someone we know. Sure, for 9 months these random tenants we found on craigslist worked great. In fact, if they wanted to vacate at the end of the lease I would've said they were the best renters we've ever had.

But I don't know if they can make it.

So chalk that up as "bad thing" #2. #1 being my unemployment that comes in a little over 30 working days.

Before I wrote this post I was trying to think of what #3 would be. Would it be my trip to Vegas where in the 5 large tournaments I played in, 4 of them I got all of my chips in as a 90% favorite and lost each time? Out of a 52 card deck in 4/5 tournaments the person I was up against caught 1 of 3 cards (or less) and was able to beat me. Talk about running bad.

I'm hoping that's #3 because I'm not sure if I could handle something worse than not being able to cover the mortgage on our rental property. Because yes, with my normal working income we could cover our rental property. We wouldn't be saving much, but we could cover it. But once I start receiving that unemployment income we won't be saving at all, and will be coming up hundreds of dollars short every month. Which means one thing - drawing from the savings/retirement accounts. One thing I hadn't planned on, even during unemployment (assuming I do go on unemployment).

*sigh*

So we've got a month and a half to figure out our rental situation now.

This isn't how it's supposed to work. I'm not supposed to keep moving backwards and getting kicked on the way down...

No comments: