Monday, June 29, 2009

Tips and Thoughts on Golf

Over the past year I've played more golf than I ever have before.

A few things contributed to this: Visiting my wife's grandma often down in Florida where she lives in a retirement community which main attraction is it's 3 golf courses, and having clubs to play with which were provided by her grandpa (RIP Lee) and then when I returned home my dad provided me his old set.

And since my dad loves golf so much, and just lived through his first day of retirement, I figure now would be the time to really start working on my game.

Believe me, I wish I had started earlier.

I'm not a very good golfer. At times, I can be downright terrible. But in comparison to everyone - those that play golf and those that have only played once or twice...or never, I consider myself to be above average.

Currently, I am shooting roughly an average of 108 per round of 18. That's about 36 shots over par, or basically double bogeying every hole (2 shots over par).

But, I am working on it. I haven't really seen any growth in my game, but I think I've learned a few things from getting out there that might be helpful to those that aren't so experienced.

Tips

-Be comfortable. Golf, or so I've heard - is relaxing. So in everything you do, especially in regards to your swing, should be comfortable. It shouldn't hurt. Find what feels good for you and work from there.

-Physics. Remember that class you took in High School? That's all golf is really. If you hit the ball with the bottom of your club you'll hit a grounder. Get under it and you'll send it skywards. Turn the club head in or out will send the ball that direction at impact. Think about how your club head is hitting the ball every time you swing and understanding that little amount of physics, adjust.

-Learn how to hit it straight consistently. I still haven't figured out how to do this. But once I figure out how to do this, I'll be able to aim my shots much better. As soon as you know how to hit it straight you can adjust your footing, your body alignment and make the ball go a little left or a little right dependent upon what you want. Power is nothing without control.

-Practice. Hit the driving range with one club and learn it inside and out. Learn your distances. When you're 130 yards out from the hole which club should you be using? With practice at a driving range where it lists the yardages you can learn which club to use. Practice enough that it becomes muscle memory when you hit with your pitching wedge from 75 yards out.

-Constantly be making adjustments. No 1 shot is ever the same. The grass is always growing, changing, drying or dampening. There is always a different slope or hazard in play. Your shots may have been tailing left for a few holes. How can you adjust your swing to straighten it out? Your putts have come up short when putting uphill. How will you approach a downhill putt? Always be thinking about how the way you're playing is currently being received by your ball and the course. Because that's the only thing you can change about the game.

-I heard this on a commercial during the US Open, but it is perfect: Every stroke counts the same on a scorecard. Whether it's a 300 yard drive off the tee, or a missed 3 foot par putt. It doesn't matter. Take advantage when you get the chance. Take your time, really assess where you are and make the most out of every stroke.

-No hole is ever over until your ball is in the cup. Don't give up - a few bad shots should make for a good save. Don't let your emotions get to you if you make a mistake; play the ball as it lies and make the best of you've got.

Thoughts

I used to be in the camp that thought that golf was boring. In fact, to this day I still turn it on TV to help me fall asleep if I want to take a midday nap. But lately I realized what getting out and playing really means to me - and probably a lot of other people.

Golf gives you the chance to get out and really enjoy the outdoors. Most of the courses out there have great views, if it only be of the course and the holes themselves. But if you think about the amount of effort that went in to making your fairways short and playable and the different types of grass and lengths of the rough, fringe and green, it's really quite amazing the type of "field" you get to play on as a golfer.

This evening I watched the sun set over a pond of the 18th hole of the Lynnwood Municipal Golf Course. That alone was almost worth the price of admission.

Respect. There's a lot of respect that goes in to playing golf. Respect for yourself by acting responsibly on the course and dressing appropriately. Respect for the people you're playing with and the other golfers playing around you. Respect for the course by following cart path rules and replacing divots. It's rare to see that much class out on the street at any time - but you can find it at most courses and it's very refreshing.

Quality time. There's no reason to rush on a golf course. Tonight our round lasted almost 4 hours. Which is about normal for me. But even if it went long and went 5 or 6 hours, as long as I had daylight I'd be happy.

Going out and golfing with your friends and family is about face time. These days where I talk to my friends more via email and text message, it's nice to have friendly competition but at the same time tons of face time. You may look at a wait on each tee of the hole as a bit of annoyance, but don't. Spend some time catching up with your buddies. You're in a relaxing environment to do so and all of you should have set the time aside to enjoy the round so there's no need to rush.

Golf gives you the ability to do something that other more strenuous sports might not offer - and that's the ability breathe deep, relax and try to have some fun.

See you out on the links.

No comments: