Tuesday, July 07, 2009

A Hairy Evening

Getting older is pretty bad.

I think one of the worst things about being a man and getting older is what happens to us physically. Specifically - going bald.

This afternoon I wanted to head out to the driving range after my terrible showings the past couple of outings on the course. It's been getting a little bit better with some practice, so I'm happy about it.

However, what I wasn't expecting was to see a previous acquaintance from high school working the front desk at the range.

I walked up, didn't even look twice until he took my name down for the membership verification.

"I thought you looked familiar" he said after I handed him my credit card.

And that's when I really stopped and looked at him.

Do you ever really look at the employees if nothing about them really strikes you as "different"? I don't.

"What's my name?" he asked me as he covered up his name tag.

I took what seemed like 5 seconds before the name tumbled out of my mouth.

"Pete!"

"Yup."

"I didn't even recognize you."

"..."

Then we talked about how he's been doing, what I've been up to, etc. And he did his job, getting me my bucket of balls, talking about golf, etc.

But why didn't I recognize him?

This guy had a lot of hair when he was younger. One of those guys that even when his hair was short it even had a wave to it because there wasn't enough room to fit on his head if it was straight.

But looking at him now, it was almost like he was a shell of his previous self. He seemed shorter (he always was somewhat short), and less filled out almost. Like he had shrunk over the past *gasp* 9 years since I had last seen him. And it was all because of the barren wasteland that now was his head, left with only tumbleweeds - not even a memory of what his hair used to look like.

And it reminded me of another friend from college I saw a couple weekends ago who had gone completely bald up top and all he had left was on the sides. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the kid.

But as I was getting my hair cut tonight I was thinking of both of them. In the past I've always said that balding was a sign of age, and hopefully in my case, more wisdom and therefore should be embraced and respected.

Now after seeing 2 guys my age really lose a lot up there (almost everything in 1 case) I'm starting to reconsider my foolish pride.

I don't want to lose my hair. With as big of a watermelon I have on these shoulders it will look absolutely terrible when I lose my hair. Yes, I have had my head completely shaven in the past, and no I don't have a problem with it, but even then I still had a quarter inch of hair on every part of my scalp. Having no hair is completely different.

So, I've decided to make an effort to keep my hair. I've noticed my hairline receding (or maybe thinning) I'm not sure. Maybe I've just been a little paranoid about it recently. But I plan on using a special shampoo I've been given (before it's too late) and if it comes to it even looking at certain types of surgery that can be done to keep my head full of hair. Because although when I do get older seeing bald men my age won't be as surprising as it is now, I still think I'll look like less of a man without my hair.

27 years and still doing well. Maybe I'll change my mind if it starts falling out at 40. Until then, worrying about it can only speed up the process.

No comments: