Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Scared

Tonight

Laying in bed

The wife said to me,

"You know, a year from now, you might be taking care of our 1 month old baby."

It was the most scared I've been in years.

Moving on to the next step is coming a lot sooner than I thought it was. And it's not that I didn't know it was coming. It's kind of like it's never felt that real to me.

Many days I look at myself and still see the teenager looking back in the mirror.

So there's a lot of personal growth that's going to be done, and a lot of new responsibility.

But what I continue to hear from every new parent out there (since we're of that age now): The good far outweighs the bad. Even my neighbor's son who is a little over 2 years old now - even though he was taught to say, "I love you (name)." When he says that to us, nothing can be wrong in the world.

And when I look back on my life and how awesome it has been - a smidge (not actually a word - boo) over a quarter of it, why not bring someone else in to enjoy the fun - someone we can mold in our own image and someone that can hopefully do better than us. Make us proud, give us hope and love. Always a future to look forward to.

No comments: