Friday, November 20, 2009

The Writing On The Wall

My 200th post! Wow.

That's a lot of boring stuff to read.

And assuming my OCDness of having 4 posts per month, that means I've been writing for probably close to 50 months.

Weird.

That can't be right.

Today was a ground breaking ceremony for the company I am currently working for. It's a big deal down here in South Carolina, where the unemployment rate is still going up and is currently I believe at 12.8%.

Because it means one thing: Jobs. A way to pay for a family - to buy a house, buy food, enjoy life. A means.

But since this company chose South Carolina - specifically North Charleston as their new home for this new warehouse, that means they didn't chose my old home.

Sure, it was all in the making.

I could see the writing on the wall.

The business climate is just not good where I'm from.

The traffic is terrible. The government can't get anything done. Taxes are high and really you don't get much out of it. But the talent pool is strong - which then again means that the average wage is going to be higher.

So, all I can see there are CONS.

If there is one thing I've learned from trading the market it's always to look at trends. Look ahead. Get in before the crowd and get out before the crowd.

So here's the trend: Will Everett - a place that is 10 miles from my "home" become the next Detroit?

It started slowly. Detroit scoffed at the idea of people in Tennessee building cars.

But look at the auto manufacturers now. They go where it's cheap. They leave unions in the dust to rot. And in turn, entire communities, supporting businesses and home prices.

Being down here I can see this economy turning around. Companies will flock now that they've seen someone take the lead. I feel like I could have a guaranteed job for possibly even 20 years. And if I continued working like I am right now (more on that in another post) - I could be well ahead of my early retirement goal.

And all I can see up north is a great exodus. And because our families are anchored there, we'll be left holding the bag.

Sure, it's a bit chicken little of me to be saying all of this, but I'll be kicking myself 5-10 years down the road if what I predict comes true.

I just can't see it working out for the Tacoma to Everett area. Where I can see excitement, an eagerness to work and a new energy down here.

I don't know if I'm even able to make big decisions like that or not...

No comments: