Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Time and Money

I think these two things are some of the most important things to me. I don’t know why. I’m really not that uptight.

But let me give you an example of something I think about, almost on a daily basis:

It takes Michelle 20 minutes to get to work and 30 minutes to get home. I takes me 50 minutes to get to work and an hour to get home.

The difference? 1 hour. Let’s say that Michelle and I work 50 weeks in a year, taking 2 off for vacation. 1 hour a day X 5 days a work week X 50 weeks = 250 hours. That’s 10 whole days of extra time that Michelle gets to spend doing whatever she’d like, a year. Granted, that extra time she basically spends sleeping, but still that’s better for you than driving in traffic. Let’s say that we both work 33 years before we retire. That ends up being 330 days, and not just 12 hour days where you’re awake, but 330 whole, 24 hour days. That’s a whole extra year of my life, gone to traffic. Sure I get to listen to the radio and music I enjoy on the way home, and yes I would’ve wasted that hour just vegging on the couch in front of the TV anyway…but still, I’d rather be at home doing nothing than stuck in traffic.

Money. The goal is to become the first cash millionaire I know. I know, making $40K a year and living in probably a close to $100K household income isn’t going to get us there very quickly, but I plan on changing some things by the time I’m 28 which will hopefully bump us up to a higher earn rate. Also, once I get more of my funds working for me, it’ll be smooth sailing from that point onwards. It is tough to start saving when you’ve got such a small amount to start with, but I heard on the radio yesterday that the average 30 year old has $3,000 in liquid cash available to them. I was shocked at that number. I am definitely blessed to be in the position I am in and plan to take full advantage. I’m hoping to build up a good nest egg for my future children…because I want either Michelle or I to work a part time job while they’re in school so that we’re there to send them off, and there after school for them. I know how much help that was to me, knowing that I would always see my mom when I got home from school every day.

Ok, off of boring topics and on to more boring.

I bought onion bagels. I had them once before at work when I was starving and they were excellent. They are not good for breakfast. The reason they are not good for breakfast is because they completely negate brushing your teeth. I have staved off from eating these bagels in the morning, and until after I get to work because my breath really stinks, and the taste in my mouth is horrible. It tastes so good going down, but the after taste is just ridiculous. Even 3 tic tacs can’t solve the issue.

I would write more, but it’s starting to pick up here. That’s why I’m working overtime. Just wanted to make my weekly (weak) post. I promise I’ll write more interesting things next week. There are things I’d like to write about…my new TV, our soccer team, the Huskies game, but don’t feel I have the time to. So I’ll stop here for now.

No comments: