Monday, November 07, 2005

Weird Hierarcy

I was just thinking about my standing today, while I was standing and my manager came by and was talking to me about my 401K. I am thinking of taking a loan of about $2K out, tax free for first time home buyers. We’re a bit short to make 20% down on our house, and my manager joked and said it’s “Time to hit the card rooms”. Making money like that though is TOUGH. When I’m playing for fun it’s different because when I lose, it’s really no big deal. However, when I play to win, and only to win, it gets frustrating. When you play to pay your bills it’s hard.

So my manager strolls by and is talking to me about how he’s so lucky he didn’t have to go through that and what not, blah blah blah, wow, do I really want to tell this story? Not really. Ok, so it’s weird how businesses work. Are people above others? No, not really, but in business standings, possibly. In fact, I am so lost on what point I’m trying to make, I’m going to stop writing about it right now.

Bellevue Square: That’s where I’m going to tonight to see Alex at his new job in Nordstroms selling shoes. Interesting. I could never do that. I think I would tell the truth too often. “Ummm, yes ma’am, those Stilettos really accentuate what a fat ankle and calf you have! And when was the last time you cut your toenails?” Gross. They would have to pay me double what I’m making right now in order for me to walk around in a suit and help women try on different shoes. No thanks.

In other news, I found out that we may be closed the day after thanksgiving which I have mixed emotions about. I had planned on working that day, because they were offering me time and a half plus my regular hourly pay, in essence two and a half times (roughly $57 per hour pre-tax) for being here and doing nothing. Over the past few years I’ve heard that the days after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and the day after New Year’s eve are all a godsend because you make a ridiculous amount of money and don’t do anything. People have brought in Playstations, computer games to be played through the network and XBOXs. We also have a TV here, and I’m sure we could find some cable, but I would be MORE than happy to make that hourly rate for just surfing the net. My boss says it’s probably not going to happen. For those of you reading this and dear to my heart that have received gifts every Christmas from me, say goodbye to your presents if I don’t get to work one of these holidays. All my money is going to be going to this house. D’oh.

I am always surprised when I make it through a Monday. I always think that Mondays are the worst and hardest days to live through. The more I think about it, it is probably Tuesday or Friday. Mainly because Tuesday you’re not even half way home yet, you’ve still got to face Wednesday, but you’ve had enough time to forget about the weekend. On Fridays you’re just aching to get through and get home and get your weekend off to a fantastic start…who knows, I can’t decide, but I wonder what percentage of people look up and say, “Aww man! Friday again! I don’t want to go home!” That would be my kind of job.

I also wanted to let everyone know that there is nothing on TV on Sunday nights at 1:12 am. If you find something on expanded cable please let me know. I ended up watching the Dave Chappelle stand up, and I basically have that thing memorized I’ve seen it so many times. Nothing else was on. “Please believe me!” Hahaha, everytime I say that I laugh. I guess you would have to see it in order to laugh along with me. Is this getting annoying? I’m wondering if writing every day is worth it, because a lot of this is just pointless fodder. But do I have to make a point every time I write? Probably not. I definitely had intentions on doing so given the title of this post, but now that I’ve gotten pretty far through it, it looks as if the point was weak to begin with. I really miss writing essays on given topics that we had in school. That was always interesting to me on how I could take different twists and see how teachers would react. In high school I used to write, “I love hot dogs” in the middle of some papers that I didn’t really care about just to see if the teacher was in fact reading them or not. A few teachers never wrote comments next to these little remarks. I wonder if they just read the first sentence of every paragraph just to see if it makes sense…then there are those speed readers. I understand that there are people who read fast, but the people that just flip through books amaze me. What the heck? They avoid “useless words”? I don’t know how I could understand anything without reading the words “the, and” etc. But I’ve been told it’s all about “Forcing your eyes to move faster”. I like to enjoy my reading though, and I’m not sure how anyone can enjoy their reading if they’re speed reading.

There’s a new Herbie Hancock CD out right now, and he did the same thing as Santana, teaming up with “cool new artists” and having them sing over their instrumentals. There’s this John Mayer song I think it’s called “Stitched Up” on that CD. Pretty cool stuff. I’d recommend it. What would living in the deep dirty south be like? This post is completely random and I think I will end it here.

No comments: